My latest recipe is for my Lovely lemon and Poppy Seed Muffins.
Ingredients for the Lemon and Poppy Seed Muffins:
260g Plain Flour 140g Butter (soft) 100ml plain yoghurt 4 tsp Poppy seeds
2tsp Baking Power 160g sugar 4tsp Lemon juice
1/4 tsp Salt 2stp Lemon zest 2 eggs (beaten)
Ingredients for the glaze:
60ml lemon Juice
1tsp Lemon zest
Equipment: 3 mixing bowls, muffin pan, muffin paper cases, measuring spoons, whisk, mixing spoons, pastry brush (but not essential), wire rack.
Instructions: Makes 12
Heat the oven to 180°C.
- In bowl 1 mix together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In bowl 2 add the butter , 160g of sugar and 2stp of lemon zest, cream together until light and fluffy.
- In bowl 3 mix together the yoghurt, 4tsp lemon juice and the eggs.
- Now it’s time to combine the 3 different mixtures. Do this gradually, add a small amount of the egg mixture to the butter mixture and to stop in curdling add a small amount of flour to the butter mixture. Continue these 3 steps until all mixture is combined in one bowl.
- Now add the poppy seeds and mix in well.
- Scoop the mixture into the muffin cases, filling them equally. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes.
- While the muffins are cooking you can prepare the glaze. In a small saucepan combine 60ml of lemon juice, 100g sugar and 1tsp lemon zest. Cook this over a very low heat, until the sugar has dissolved.
- When the muffins are cooked, leave to cool in the muffin pan for 5 minutes. Then put each muffin onto a wire rack and generously brush each one with the glaze using a pastry brush. If you don’t have a pastry brush then use a teaspoon to carefully pour the glaze over each muffin.